Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Homegoings

My co-worker funeral is today. My manager and I will go and show our respect.
He and I worked in the sales environment. We married as a team years ago. I remember, the year at the sales conference we made a vow, along with other outside sales reps in my territory. What a great team building assignment. We discovered personal things about each other that we didn’t know previously and as a result the relationship grew closer.

I’m not too comfortable with funerals. I like how I last remembered the person. In this case, he had a zest for life.

My manager and I arrive at the funeral home; some of his family is outside of the building. We introduce ourselves.

As my manager and I walk into the funeral home, she asks if I’m okay and I tell her that I fine.

Inside, there’s a small chapel, and a large room with his family, and friends, and beautiful bouquet of flowers. A lovely arrangement of red roses is on his Mahogany coffin. He looks very peaceful. I’m beginning to feel calm.

There is a video showing a history of his life. His traveling ventures are so many. I can say he really lived! He has a loving family. All the faces that come to me and tell me stories about him, they all mention he was a good person. One of his nephews talks about how great uncle he was. I can tell he’s taking this very hard. I felt I needed to comfort him. I give him as many hugs as I can and tell him I will keep him in my prayers. I want to comfort everyone but my manager and I have to get back to work.

After returning, so many thoughts came to mind. Looking at a body, I know there is spirit, where does it go?

It’s amazing how one walk around one minute and next, he is gone. Life is truly a gift.

Where do we go in the after life? People have ideas, but has anyone gone for a period of time and come back to share?

Why are we here? Is it to enjoy life or to share our purpose with the world?

Is there more than one life? Do we recycle into other lifetimes?

What does it matter about wars? Why can’t people live peacefully?

Why is there greed? One can’t take material possessions with him?

It appears to me that good people leave this world early, while not so good people are still here.

Sometimes, I think once we complete our assignment on earth it’s time to move on.

I think my co-worker learned this very early. It was time to move to his next assignment.

I don’t think I can ever forget him. I see him in my mind’s eye now. Not in the coffin, but alive and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment