Thursday, August 19, 2010


This week, I made it to seat 3, however, my dragon boat race practice did not go well. My technique was off.

One lady in the seat in front of me said she would switch seats with her boat partner on the opposite side of her. In a joking way, I said, why does everyone switch seats when they sit in front of me. She said, "I'm changing to work on my left stroke." My s-hero proceeds to sit behind me and tell me what to do. Some of the other team members join in and give me more pointers. One male shouts out directions to me. I tell him I thought that was I was doing and asked him what was I doing wrong? He said, I wasn't watching you. So why did he give me pointers if he wasn't watching my technique? The team leader even stopped the boat and I had to show the stroke by myself. At this point I felt like, oh yeah, pick on the black female! Even though I'm open to learning,this did not feel good, all eyes were on me! I was close to my breaking point.

After practice, s-hero told me she sat behind me because some of the other team members were talking about me behind my back and others were indirectly making sharp remarks. And as a friend, she wasn't going to allow me to struggle like that and not do anything about it. I felt horrible and I didn't know if I wanted to come back. It really hurt that some of them were whispering about me, but they were not upfront when I asked a question if they were speaking about me.

Two weeks ago, I struggled getting a new technique that was introduced to the group. Some of the team members got my name wrong, calling me my s-hero's name, I heard one of them ask my boat partner to get my name(after we introduced ourselves) she even gave them her name. I continued to allow them to call her name until they finished and turned around and said, my name is Colette!

After practice, s-hero, her friend and I went to eat at R Thomas. After eating I rushed home because I didn't have my bike with me. (I was left by getting a ride from s-hero this morning because I was running late again. Surprisely, I was right behind her as she pulled up to the practice parking lot of Lake Lanier.)

At the house, I got help from significant other by getting the bike in the car. I only had time to freshen up, change clothes, and get back to s-hero's place downtown in time. She drove to Mitchell St. for a bike safety class and after went on my first group ride for women called Heels on Wheels. We started at Woodruff Park and I was so nervous; I think I was shaking. At certain times of the ride, I gained confidence and other times seemed like a close call. A car too close, the light changing and I didn't know if I could make it in time. My seat wasn't tight enough and I had to keep up with the group. Cyclist s-hero met us at the group ride and she was next to me at times, so after awhile I had no choice other than to stop. It was nice, 3 other women pulled over to assist including s-hero cyclist and she tighten my seat for me. One of the ladies dropped her back pack and a man on the Peachtree Street called to give it to her. There are still kind people in the world.

Our group rode on Peachtree Street pass 14Th St. and wrapped around ending on Edgewood to eat. We had to split the group, there wasn't enough bike parking in the pizza parlor. The company of women and the meal was great but I missed significant other.

It turned into my first night ride back to the headquarters on Mitchell St.
After it was over at 10pm, I realized I loved this adventurous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment